Orecchiette with Sausage, Peas and Mushroom
Orecchiette with sausage, peas, and mushrooms is a simple staple pasta recipe that is sure to please a crowd.
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 lb of orecchiette
- 1 lb of sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 6 oz cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 10 oz frozen peas, thawed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup shallot, minced
- 1½ cups of chicken stock
- ¾ cup grated Parmigiano cheese, extra for serving
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon of fresh basil, chopped
- salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta a cook as directed by the label.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and use a wooden spoon to break up. Brown the sausage for about 4 minutes.
- Once browned add in your mushrooms and shallots and cook for about two minutes.
- Add in the garlic and continue cooking until your shallots are softened and garlic fragrant.
- Add salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Pour chicken stock into the skillet and bring to a low simmer. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up all of the brown bits at the bottom of your skillet.
- Reserve one cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain pasta when al dente.
- Add the pasta to the skillet along with the peas and Parmigiano cheese.
- Add the pasta water ½ cup at a time to create your desired amount of sauce.
- Stir in the fresh parsley and basil.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Top your finished pasta with extra parm cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.